Northern Colorado Backcountry Skiing & Snowboarding
By d-rock
Very nice stoke, TJ9! Glad to see you around here again!!
By shantyman
more fun at the passImage
By telejet9
Late getting these up, but better late than never. Sat was a snowy day with fast, surfy skiing and soft turns.

By shantyman
very nice slope, tj9. i bet no one followed you there.
By shantyman
Imagesuper windy up high. still skied ok. not a good picture day
By SkifreakKDL
Here is a good write up from the accident: http://www.tetongravity.com/story/ski/w ... et-lanched

I'm glad to hear it turned out as well as it did and that the write up gives us something to learn from. South Diamond always has enticing lines that I'm sure many of us have skied, including this line.

I found that some of the pictures also provide a good reminder of what actually constitutes a safe zone on the bench. Even while avoiding the face, there is a reason some of the tree runs exist and triggering something from below wouldn't be fun.
By Erick
I'm super glad everyone made it out. Pabst and avy alley are on the same mountain but are two very different beasts. Pabst is lower angle and is constant the whole way down. Avy alley is way more exposed, cross loaded, and has a huge convexity at the top. Also, there's no exit except the bottom. Avy alley has now slid to the ground twice and this is he third time it's failed on weak newer facets. Shits going down, big lines are being had, just know your snowpack and aspects. Stay safe and smart out there!
By drh
We watched this group make very bad decisions on their first run. The author was shooting pics and it appeared they were showing "camera courage". We debated doing another run but after watching the shit show we decide to call it a day. It was obvious from the parking lot that the Gash was no place to be. We all make mistakes. This group was just being reckless.
By bill
drh good to see you are getting out. i have been steering clear of the pass skiing trees.
By Matt
Was up there on Sunday. Saw the crowd at the lot and wind loading on the face. We hightailed it to a heavily treed slope. Rode all day w/o crossing another person's tracks.

Sadly with the large increase in backcountry skiers the last 5 years or so, it is probably going to be pretty soon that another human caused avalanche happens. The state just had our first avalanche death this winter...
By Erick
Don't be scared, be smart!
Yesterday:
Today:

By Erick
In the last three days we got X, Y, Little Alberta, The Wire and some little coulier in hot dog that I have no clue what the name is or if it's even been skied, all got slayed and checked off!

Was so excited and the bottom of Y that I forgot to turn the camera off when I was calling my mom.

By shantyman
nice as always Erick. way to get after it.
By shantyman
cold, slow, and stiff describes the snow today, also fitting for me.Image
Routt Conditions 2018-2019

This weekend didn't suck! Tree skiing in North Ro[…]

CP Conditions 2018-2019

Sat was fun!!!! A little late posting, but it was […]

Steamboat Uphill Access Policy

It's lost on me why you wouldn't choose a walk in […]

Shit to Ski Off I-70

Nuts! I just wanted to upload one moar pic. One[…]

Swap-in out addons, use only what you really need!