Northern Colorado Backcountry Skiing & Snowboarding
By Erick
South Diamond went huge today. The only thing that didn't slide was pabst and ptarm, it went all the way to the ground. For those who boldly skied the face yesterday and today got away with one. Also, it crushed over the bench and down into the drainages that everyone hiked up hours before it went. We witnessed it from the s shoulder. It looks like a remote trigger or cornice fall.?. There where several people hiking up when it happened so hard to say forsure what started it thou. The crown was 700ft wide and anywhere from 18in to 9ft. It was fast and destructive! No one would have out ran this one.Image
Stay safe out there. There where two other big natural slides at cp yesterday and both of those went to the ground aswell.
By GPP33
Erick wrote:South Diamond went huge today. The only thing that didn't slide was pabst and ptarm, it went all the way to the ground. For those who boldly skied the face yesterday and today got away with one. Also, it crushed over the bench and down into the drainages that everyone hiked up hours before it went. We witnessed it from the s shoulder. It looks like a remote trigger or cornice fall.?. There where several people hiking up when it happened so hard to say forsure what started it thou. The crown was 700ft wide and anywhere from 18in to 9ft. It was fast and destructive! No one would have out ran this one.Image
Stay safe out there. There where two other big natural slides at cp yesterday and both of those went to the ground aswell.
Damn, that's nuts! Must have been an amazing sight to see.
By Erick
It was crazy! We where just discussing new snow load and standing on the ridge near pabst, when we looked up everything started propagating and ripping. It felt unreal and like I was watching a Planet Earth episode. I can't even begin to put words to it. Wild perspective and just crushed everything in its way.
By shantyman
shit. thats big
By buckrodgers
That is crazy. We were just talking about how big it was gonna go, make good decisions out there folks, continue to help educate the less experienced!
By d-rock
Dang! Massive! So, did it take out some timber, Erick? I am also a little confused if you were driving over or on the ridge?
http://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/obs/o ... s_id=43721
By Loconut
I drove over the pass on Saturday a little after the slide happened. When I got home I saw the posts and photos. In 20+ years of skiing in the area, I have never seen it rip like that (though older members of Diamond Peaks patrol have said told me of slides that ran all the way to the parking lot). Glad everyone stayed safe. Unbelievable, really, for a mid-day slide on a holiday weekend.
I also checked CAIC site and saw no one had submitted an observation. I let them know, and Mike Cooperstein from CAIC went up yesterday to look around.
In an email back to me, he let me know how helpful it is for people to file observations of slides, conditions, etc. Since this site seems to have the best info on the area, and people who spend a lot of time in the area, here is a link to make it easy if you see something you think would be helpful to report.
http://avalanche.state.co.us/observatio ... -a-report/
Happy holiday turns!
By d-rock
Thanks for the clarification, Loconut. Saw the updated obs from Cooperstein on CAIC. Obs are always important for the backcountry community. It is a miracle nobody got caught in it. Erick where is the go pro footage?! You were on the ridge and a historic avalanche happens, no pics, nothing?
By Pilgrim
Yes, the diamond slides annually and more. I wouldn't be that surprised if it filled in and slid again soon with the rapid loading and cold temps. I think the point is the size of the slide compared to other years. At some point in the past the drainages where everyone skins up have slid and cleared out trees.
By shantyman
deep powder and face shots todayImage
Imagefun day. its on!!!
By Rsw0124
Pretty sure we saw you guys right at the top tree in bowl! It was definitely nice out there yesterday, snow was really surfy and I'm not sure I've ever coming home so wet from a day of riding ever in Colorado!

Have fun out there and be safe everyone! Smart decisions and choices save life's!
By shantyman
of which bowl do you speak, Rsw0124?
By shantyman
one more,for the post count Image
By d-rock
Yes! Nice work Shantyman! What a wonderful two weeks we have been having! With more to come! Have fun and be safe y'all!
Routt Conditions 2018-2019

This weekend didn't suck! Tree skiing in North Ro[…]

CP Conditions 2018-2019

Sat was fun!!!! A little late posting, but it was […]

Steamboat Uphill Access Policy

It's lost on me why you wouldn't choose a walk in […]

Shit to Ski Off I-70

Nuts! I just wanted to upload one moar pic. One[…]

Swap-in out addons, use only what you really need!