Northern Colorado Backcountry Skiing & Snowboarding
By mw88888888
Dawn patrol on Tuesday morning after the storm. 4-6" new, but up high blown off the ptarmigan face into the trees, which was the preferred descent route. Last week's 20" was crusty, sun and wind affected, but made for a good base, especially down in the lower forest. Skied right back to the car. Fine, fine skiing for early October, and a blessing compared to last year.

But let's hope the recent snow's transition to rotting depth hoar will be bridged by a massive early season snowpack. One can hope.
Attachments
shawow selfie - snowshoe tracks and north diamond peakJPG.JPG
By Erick
Thanks frenchy! Think I got things figured out. Sick picture's by the way! Stared at that last one for awhile :D First storm came in like we where in Tahoe but the last two have brought your typical Rocky Mountain winds. Got a handful of days in but ready for the snow machine to turn back on! This was from Wednesday. Can't wait to start shredding POW🤘
IMG_3822.jpg
By frenchy
Right on Erick, glad you're getting out!! Nice pic!! I've yet to get out this year..

That last pic from the other thread is one of the easily accessible ridges off Roger's Pass. We skied a couple of those couloirs the following day. Love that zone!!!
By yoder
ULLR Revival

Sat Nov 4th.

Amenaaaaahhh!
Attachments
ullr fire small.JPG
ullr fire small.JPG (69.66 KiB) Viewed 986 times
158_ULLRPODFull_1.jpg
158_ULLRPODFull_1.jpg (23.27 KiB) Viewed 986 times
158_ullr4_1.jpg
158_ullr4_1.jpg (14.67 KiB) Viewed 986 times
frenchy liked this
By mw88888888
8 am

Breakable crust. Frozen Death Cookies. A great treat when in brownie or chocolate chip cookie form, but to ski - well, pure survival.

The freezing drizzle up Rt 14 should have been the give away, but decided I was already there, so what the hell. Put the snowshoes on and went up.

Maybe the strong layer to cover the early season snow...that's the best I could offer in optimism. The turns sucked all around.

But still a day of skiing...and friendly little tundra chickens to keep me company.
Attachments
IMG_0185.JPG
IMG_0185.JPG (121.42 KiB) Viewed 969 times
By aig0216
I rode the diamond from the top to the bottom Saturday, likely shortly after you were up there.

I was optimistic that up higher the freezing rain layer would have transitioned to snow. This was not the case, the breakable freeze crust went all the way to the top of South Diamond and affected the entire area, some areas especially up higher are not easily breakable either.

Word to the wise, this freeze crust was likely well preserved from the cold conditions and winds experienced Sunday, along with more snowfall, although minor to today.

If we see the snow that is forecasted this week and it does not get blown off by the wind, this rain/freeze crust is going to create quite a scary weak layer that is likely to not consolidate unless it gets really hot up there in the coming weeks.

PS: on October 14 the ground/base layer of the snowpack on South Diamond was 2-7cm deep of large facets, with about a half meter of softer snow sitting on top of it. Shaping up to be a scary snowpack like last year. Please don't forget the large slides that ran the face of South Diamond at the end of November and on December 26 of last year.
frenchy liked this
By bucky
20151024_235526.jpg
20151024_235526.jpg (45.33 KiB) Viewed 829 times
YESSSS stoked to bring ULLR some gifts
Attachments
20151024_214127-min.jpg
20151024_214127-min.jpg (57.91 KiB) Viewed 829 times
By ofrogg
aig0216 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:44 am
I was optimistic that up higher the freezing rain layer would have transitioned to snow. This was not the case, the breakable freeze crust went all the way to the top of South Diamond and affected the entire area, some areas especially up higher are not easily breakable either.

Word to the wise, this freeze crust was likely well preserved from the cold conditions and winds experienced Sunday, along with more snowfall, although minor to today.

If we see the snow that is forecasted this week and it does not get blown off by the wind, this rain/freeze crust is going to create quite a scary weak layer that is likely to not consolidate unless it gets really hot up there in the coming weeks.
Thanks for inspiring a snowpack exploration trip!
https://www.neversummeroutdoor.com/chat ... er-is-here
Attachments
Ice Layer - Small.jpg
aig0216, frenchy liked this
By coughingskunk
Any reports on conditions today? Thinking of skiing the shoulder or paps with buckey and ders on saturday, but without any new snow I'm fearful that all the goods have already been harvested.
By Erick
Did 5 on pabst, shoulder, and tasters on tueseday. Tracked ptarmigan Monday rode the face Wednesday. South and east facing has already gone to shit. North facing was still blower this morning and where going way up high tomorrow to get the goods🤘
frenchy, ofrogg liked this
By GPP33
shantyman wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:54 pm
Image 11-19-17 at 5.51 PM.jpegtoday was good. real good
Agreed. Better coverage than I expected, wind had taken it's toll above tree line but down in the trees it was nice and soft. A couple more feet would help to cover the downed trees in the forest but other than that I'd say it's game on! If you haven't started your season yet get out there!

Hey guys, since I have left Colorado for Idaho, I […]

CP Conditions

Image 11-19-17 at 5.51 PM.jpegtoday was good. re[…]

PM sent. Hit me up!

Nederland area Sunday

you thinking top of 550 ?

Swap-in out addons, use only what you really need!