Home Wx & Avi Reports Forums & Blogs Avi Classes Gallery Gear Swap Contact

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TR: Berthoud Rollercoaster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Backcountry Forums Home -> Northern Colorado Backcountry Skiing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
telejet9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: TR: Berthoud Rollercoaster Reply with quote

Thought of this last year and finally had the legs this year to complete it. The challenge was to be dropped off at Berthoud Pass and end up in the parking lot of Mary Jane, skiing every drainage along the way from the high point down to the road each time. None of that traversing the ridge stuff. We are talking maximum elevation gain and loss.

Getting dropped off at 7:30am.

At the top of North Chutes looking into Current Cr. drainage.

Current Cr parking lot.

Last couple of steps to finish the Postage Stamp.

Getting ready to drop the line North of the Postage Stamp. Snow was less than stellar, but a fun line nonetheless.

In the chute.

Check out the size of the adjacent cornice!

A look at the line from a distance.

Second Cr. parking lot...nearly halfway.

Top of Titty Peaks looking to the SSE. We skied the "North Fork" of First Creek drainage back down to the road. The upper part was great, but the trees became painfully thick and flat at the bottom.

Skier in middle of bowl just below Titty Peaks. What a great area!

I missed the photo of the First Cr. parking lot. Trust me...I was there. At this point we were trying to eat what we could. You can only have so many gels and bars. The 3 BL-no T wraps with cheese I made worked well. 2.5 liters of Gatorade and 1 liter of water was not enough though! We skinned up the north side of the First Creek drainage to the First Cr. hut and took a little break. Then it was a moderate skin to the top of Zero Cr. The photo below is from the top of Zero Cr. looking toward the Pandemic Distress.

About to drop into Zero Cr.

At the Zero Cr. switchback. One more up and it is over! At this point I was feeling pretty good. I was able to skin at a good clip back up to the cirque basin. About the time that I emerged from the trees, the weather decided to challenge me. It went from wet, slushy snow to brick-under-the-skin chunkiness to frozen crust in a matter of 20 minutes. By the time I was halfway up the drainage the ceiling dropped and it started graupelling on me. When I reached the top of the Zero Cr. drainage I had very limited visibility. I traversed over to the resort boundary line and headed up from there. This last stretch seemed to take hours. Pretty much exhausted and skinning in a white-out is hard on your psyche. Right about this time I ran out of liquids too. I reached the top of Parsenn Bowl around 4:15.

Below is a pic snapped in the middle of the squall.

It was eerie skiing down MJ with no one around. I passed a couple of patrollers as they were finishing the sweep. I reached the Utah lot of MJ around 4:28.

According to the GPS:
16.4 miles.
8550 of elevation gain.
9660 of elevation loss.
8:47 of total time.

After a day like that you have to stop by the Empire Dairy King...Sandy makes the best burgers around.

Many thanks to my skiing partner for allowing me to drag him along on this trek. Not many people allow me to kick the crap out of them and come back for more...(and a broken boot buckle to top it off). I couldn't have done this without your effort.
mel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice freaking work! Killer. Broken buckle? Factors? I could really go for a burger from the Empire Diary King right now. Well played. BTW, BD sent me a new buckle next day no questions asked. It's an easy fix.
pilotmurph

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mel wrote:
Nice freaking work! Killer. Broken buckle? Factors? I could really go for a burger from the Empire Diary King right now. Well played. BTW, BD sent me a new buckle next day no questions asked. It's an easy fix.

Yep, Factors. I'll try the store first, then call BD, thanks.
dino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: sweet Reply with quote

Very nice! 8550 is a big number. Surprised
Jmetten

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sick dude, if you ever want to do it again you could ski all the way to the town of Winter Park. Head inbounds to the Cirque and all the way out past the bottom of the Pioneer. A friend and I skied the Cirque at around 6:30pm doing that. Props on the journey and great TR.
daa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on sweet effort and TR
kh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, great TR!
RoanMtnMan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Great Project Reply with quote

Judging by your GPS figures, which seem accurate, you are fast.
telejet9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

We skied each drainage at a pretty good clip. Mostly top to bottom without stopping. We skinned at a moderate pace, but did not stop very often. Not too bad for T-Races, O1's, and 192 Zealots.

Skin like the wind!
mel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

telejet9 wrote:
Quote:

We skied each drainage at a pretty good clip. Mostly top to bottom without stopping. We skinned at a moderate pace, but did not stop very often. Not too bad for T-Races, O1's, and 192 Zealots.

Skin like the wind!

Proving that it truly is all about the down. Ultralight settups are for chumps, or spandex-clad Euros, or folks that don't get out much, or guides that do a lot of babysitting...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Backcountry Forums Home -> Northern Colorado Backcountry Skiing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

WEB SITE DISCLAIMER

© 2001-2011 Powderbuzz.com

WordWordPress Tweaks by ADC