Home Wx & Avi Reports Forums & Blogs Gear Swap Contact

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
BP Conditions and Stoke 2016/2017
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Backcountry Forums Home -> Northern Colorado Backcountry Skiing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d-rock

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: BP Conditions and Stoke 2016/2017 Reply with quote

Super late start on this thread, compare to last year. Late start to the season in general, ha! Ma Nature flipped the switch starting about two weeks ago and has not let up much. Winter Park went from lonely Parkway being open to 86 trails open as we speak. Crazy. Anyhow, of course the backcountry went sketchy, quick. Looks like CP had the same issues. This past weekend was busy with skier triggered slides. Lift Gulley and the Hanging Meadow area. Gazex got Stanley slide path to go about full width and hitting the road with a good amount of debris.

Lift Gulley avalanche, classic convexity, lots of wind loading.

North Chute, Sentinel, and Hanging Meadow. Not sure if the crown is continuous or its a bunch of smaller ones. Either way, it would have been a nasty ride.

Snow stake shows another 8ish inches so far today!! At least the winds have calm down a bit. They were relentless the last few days. Here is the station for Bottle Peak.....!
http://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/obs_stns/station.php?plot=hourly&st=CABPK&date=2016-12-14+09&unit=e&area=caic&title=BOTTLE+PEAK+%28RMRS%29+11200+ft
Tennesseematt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We drove over BP Saturday to XC ski at Devil's Thumb and I commented to my wife about all the activity seen from the highway.

Make smart choices and be safe out there.

Matt
GPP33

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skied Butler yesterday and saw/felt/heard no signs of instability. No natural activity in the area. Still kept it on low angle terrain but expected to at least see some signs of the nasty that's down there. We did get a good view of the slide that came off Stanly, it did go wall to wall.
d-rock

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a stormy weekend! Did a short tour yesterday, due to my laziness of not waxing my board the night before. It is the season of below zero wax! It didn't help that the air temp was -10F. Coverage is good right now. We got around 14 inches with strong west/northwest winds. West facing ridgetops are stripped of snow. Clear cold nights right now. -16F in Fraser right now, -30F in Harbison Meadow ( the big valley as you enter RMNP on the west side ) Hope folks got out and enjoyed the freshies!

Out of the fog and trying to get into the sun light.

What's up sun dog!

Ready to drop in...

Barely made turns down this (due to lack of wax!), yes I could of went for a steeper line...

One more sun dog appropriately framed!

Jimmyjam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice d-rock. Definetly needed that below zero wax this weekend! Thanks for the stoke.
backcountry8591

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone going out tomorrow who wouldn't mind a tag along? AIARE 1, 4 years experience, 25 years old, in good shape, conservative/trying to ski slopes 30 degrees or lower until this persistent slab issue gets a bit more manageable!

All of my usual partners have left town for the holidays and I'm not super comfortable heading out alone, so let me know if you're willing to meet up!
d-rock

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an amazing two weeks! The atmospheric river keeps on a coming. The snow is piling up and there were a couple close calls around the BP area.
Rush Chute

Close up of crown

First Creek

Not sure if y'all saw this on CAIC? Full burial and partial burial in First Creek. I have ridden this area and thought that it was a mellow enough slope angle. Turns out you just need a small amount of 38 degree slope.

Here is the recent incident
http://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/obs/obs_report.php?obs_id=44173

Here is a pic from last season, same area

So, its been looking a lot like this the last few days

Yesterday morning the new snow was heavy and dense, a "upside down" storm. Through out the day it kept snowing and the temps were dropping a bit. Something to keep in mind within the storm snow. (density change)
I hope everyone is enjoying the new snow! Cheers!

Edit to add-BP has been closed since 6:30am. Apparently Stanley slid. Not sure if they are doing other mitigation on other areas. Looks very gnarly up there.
d-rock

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early morning sun greets me...

No bootpacking in this skintrack! Hotlapping!

Deep...deeper??

Looking good...

Natural on No Name, wide propagation...

Dropping in...

The 110's...

Rooster tails!

More naturals in Current Creek...

Cheers!

shantyman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice photos.
d-rock

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From yesterday...at Berthoud Pass...on a Sunday...annnnnnd nobody around! Ha! Snow ATL was pretty much shit. Teeth rattling, super variable shit. This was a southerly aspect, but other aspects ATL looked the same. So, we ventured down lower and found better quality snow. This was an easterly aspect. Did some laps, drank some beers. Great time!!!

d-rock

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It snowed!!! A whole 6 inches!! ATL, double that in certain drifted features. Hell, I even got the Mrs. Rock out to do a little skiing! Visibility was crappy when we were up high. Looked like things got clearer as the day went on. Some storm slabs up high where it drifted deeper. Felt good to break trail again.

Rime up high on the trees.

Dropping.

shantyman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hell yeah. i'll take six inches. Smile looks sweet. heading out tomorrow for the 3 that fell at cp
d-rock

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday's tour was a great day to be sliding on snow! Warm up lap on Sentinel Chute, due to very low clouds/fog. Second lap took me to about 100 vert. shy of the Mines towers. Coverage on the west aspect of Mines have been improving. Maybe after this next storm we could be skiing from the summit! Snow was consistent boot top cold powder. Rode Mines 2 down to 7 mile creek and skinned back to the lot. Third lap was Current Creek Bench down to XYZ. The North Chutes on Russell were skied hard! Just a little further skin and there was plenty of untouched. No wind and a very pleasant day to get high. No avalanche concerns, no dust layer. 3,690vert for the day. Cheers!

In the soup.

Starting too clear

Current Creek skintrack stoke

Looking north

telejet9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice D-rock...big day and good snow!
d-rock

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corn harvest is here! Topped out at 12,500ft, rode to about 11,500ft. The run started on southerly aspect and then it turned east. Great freeze the night before. Dropped in at 10:30am. The first quarter of the run was still corning up, but it got really good once I made the turn to the east. Perfect velvety and smooth corn! Yum!

Looking south at Grays and Torreys Peak (14,278ft and 14,267ft)

Englemann Peak (13,362ft) with a couple of options!

The ridge...

Making the turn to the east

Looking back up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Backcountry Forums Home -> Northern Colorado Backcountry Skiing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

WEB SITE DISCLAIMER

© 2001-2011 Powderbuzz.com

WordWordPress Tweaks by ADC